Monday 6 February 2012

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

I was really excited when Transworld sent me an advance copy of I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. It's out on 16th February in both print and ebook formats.

Here's the synopsis

I've lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive!! :)

A couple of glasses of bubbly with the girls at a charity do and Poppy's life has gone into meltdown. Not only has she lost her engagement ring, but in the panic that followed, she's lost her phone too. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number with the hotel staff. It was meant to be!

Except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn't agree. He wants his phone back, and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, phone messages and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents, can things get any more tangled?



I liked this book. I wanted to love it and I almost did. As I was reading it I was torn between "this plot is totally ridiculous" and "this is really good". And I vacillated between the two. A lot.

Here's the thing: I'm pretty sure that Sam would have just called the police when Poppy refused to give the phone back. But, once I got past about the middle of the book I didn't care any more. I still thought it was a bit much. And from almost the beginning I thought I knew how it would end (I was right but a couple of the twists along the way surprised me). I really wanted to know what would happen. I didn't want to stop reading, and I enjoyed it.

Another thing I found really cute is the way Poppy loves footnotes. And she uses loads of them in the book. It did mean I had to hunt to see where the number was on the page a few times which got a bit old once or twice, especially to start with. It's not something I'd want to see in every book I read however it worked well here.

Sophie Kinsella is definitely a good writer. I doubt many people who have read her books would disagree with that. And her books are good for pure escapism that keeps you reading. If that's what you want this is the perfect book for you. If you want believable characters this might be the book for you. I did think they seemed like real people and I wanted to tell both Poppy and Magnus to grow up at certain points. But at the same time I thought some of their actions were unbelievable.

It was the perfect read for the snowy evening i read it when the white stuff was stopping this wheelie from going out.


♥ Emma

1 comment:

Belgie said...

You get a glimpse of Sam's life through the emails and text messages being sent to him (oh you know Poppy is too curious to pass up this opportunity of snooping!) and also through their interactions through text messages and phone calls. All I can say is that They.Are.Adorable!!! Yes it is capitalized. Sam wants the phone back, Poppy, through her absurd logic and persuasion skills, somehow keeps it. Their back and forth banter just did it for me. This book was, in my opinion, the best book that Sophie Kinsella has written ever since Can You Keep A Secret?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails