Saturday 22 October 2011

Welly Walks and Biscuit Baking by Hannah Ensor

I decided to start the read-a-thon off with something super easy and read my friend Hannah Ensor's new books which are released today.  I'm also going to pop up to her book launch a bit later and I'm looking forward to it.

Hannah is a writer and illustrator who uses her trademark stickman style to use humour to education about disability.  Her two newest books which come out today are Welly Walks and Biscuit Baking - stories aimed at children aged between 2 and 5.  Each includes a character in a wheelchair but at no point are the words "disabled", "disability" or "wheelchair" mentioned in the stories. The wheelchair user just is.


These books are so much fun.  I liked them both but I think Biscuit Baking is my favourite.  I love the colour in them too, it really made the pictures pop.  Plus I am once again left in awe of how much life and character Hannah manages to get into simple stickmen characters.

I really recommend these books (and Hannah's other books and products, her wheelchair signs are a particular favourite of mine). I know several people who've had kids this year and I want to buy these for them.  But as they are all pretty much still in the newborn stage I'll have to hold off... for now.

£1 from the sale of each book goes to Whizz-Kids - as Hannah describes it:
Who help children enjoy fun and full childhoods, get the right wheelchairs for them at the right time, and learn the skills they need – all without pity or patronisation. With loads of input from the kidz themselves, it is run with humour, respect, positivity, professionalism and cheek. A charity after my own heart.

It's also a cause that I too believe in.

Hannah's blog is here and her website is here.  The books are available from available from the publisher 2QTWHSmiths,and other similar places. I have been told that Amazon is taking a long time to process orders.

4 comments:

Nan said...

Those books sound wonderful. Happy reading and enjoy the read-a-thon.

Unknown said...

Hi Emma! I'm one of the readathon cheerleaders and want to wish a great Readathon day!

Your friend Hannah's books sound fantastic. I am also in a wheelchair and I think it's a great idea to educate children about disability through books.

Do you know if Hannah's books will be sold in the USA at all? I'm in NYC.

Enjoy your day! Happy Reading!

Hannah Ensor said...

Thanks Emma - put like that they really do sound rather good :D

Amy - They aren't currently available in the US, but I do ship orders to the US from my website.

nh said...

The books look really interesting - I shall have a look in WHSmiths when I am next in town.

ICLW

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails