Monday 15 August 2011

(lack of) Progress Report

I returned to the hospital last Thursday having had a couple of days without the casts.  It was very nice to be able to get up and get dressed when I wanted rather than when someone could help.  And to wear trackies and go sailing and have showers!  But equally I was very frustrated to not be in the casts because it almost felt like giving up without giving it the best possible shot.

My physio got me back in a standing frame for a few minutes when I got there and she measured the angles of my ankles which were the same as they'd been on the Monday.  That was huge because apparently she would have expected some deterioration.

 I was and still am a bit confused by the measurements she got as for my whole life my left side has been substantially worse than my right but this time the left was a lot better that my right.  That could be something to do with the way I stand and compensating.  I didn't really understand.  I stand in a really screwy way which she tried to demonstrate to me so I could see the difference between that and how I should be standing but she couldn't do it as she kept losing her balance when she tried.

They put me back in casts again, basically at my request.  She thinks it's unlikely they'll be any further improvement although when I got upset and started crying that got changed to "well you never know".

The angle of my ankles in the casts is the same as it was standing which apparently is no improvement but I remembered after I left that when I first saw her at the beginning of July my measurements were substantially different lying down to standing - and the casts were done whilst lying. So maybe there is a very slim possibility it's better.  Confused.

I'm going to borrow a standing frame from the hospital to have at home.  When I go back in a couple of days to have the casts removed my Dad is going to take me so we can bring it back and he can learn how to get me in it.  I've also been told that they won't do any more casts.

I've been referred to orthotics regardless in the hope they can do something to help me out.  Night AFOs were mentioned (deep joy), special inserts for my shoes and wedges are also possibilities I believe.

And that's the latest installment of Emma's Adventures in Serial Casting...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails