Thursday 4 August 2011

The Crip and The Casts

I tried yesterday to post a video blog from my shiny but for some reason it won't upload.  I will endeavour to cover the main points and do so quickly as I have hospital transport coming and was told to be ready at 9.15 (8.44 now).

Casts went on Monday.  that day was a huge struggle and ended in a crying, shaking, sobbing, puking meltdown that necessitated my calling my Mum round at 11:30 pm and unfortunately getting her out of bed in the process.  Basically I couldn't get out of bed without help, I got my skirt all tangled up, couldn't get it up or down and it was catching in my wheels, it was too hot and the casts were a little uncomfortable due to the stretch and when I'd tried to transfer into my powerchair earlier that day hadn't managed it meaning I thought I'd be housebound.  Mum got me sorted out and left a little after midnight I think.  She came back round at 6am to get me up for the loo again and then I went back to bed (definitely needed the rest!) and Dad came in at 9 on his way to work and helped me up.

We've managed to solve the bed problem by putting the mattress from my old bed on top of the one on my new bed which means I have a ridiculously high bed but I can get out of it without help!  The loo I was also finding a little low which is strange as both it and my bed are an easy height usually.  I keep a toilet surround (with bars and a raised seat) at my parents house and my sister dropped that in for me.  Tuesday and yesterday I was able to transfer into the powerchair with help and as I've gotten used to the casts have been finding that easier and can just manage it solo now.

When I left the hospital on Monday I was given paperwork with instructions which included going to A&E if I had any problems out of hours (and a letter to take with me).  I'm sure that if I could have found someone to take me I'd have gone Monday night, at the very least I was adamant that I was going back to the hospital first thing Tuesday and kept saying I couldn't do it.  But it didn't come to it and it's been a struggle at times but it's been OK.

I saw my GP about something else yesterday (for which she gave me some lovely Erythromycin meaning I am once again on two antibiotics) and she told me that the hospital hadn't even told her they'd seen me let alone that I've been multiple times and what they were doing to me.  Don't think she was best impressed.  I wasn't surprised she didn't know all of it as my consultant rang me Monday afternoon to say he'd not made a note of what we'd agreed and what plan had been made for going forward and could I tell him? But i was surprised she hadn't even had a "we saw Emma for physio and are sending her back to wheelchair services and to the consultant" type letter as I was first seen practically a month ago!

Apparently my casts may come off and stay off today.  This would be if the treatment was complete (unlikely I think based on what was said on Monday) or it was considered to have failed.  I think I knew deep down that it could fail but I'd not really thought about it and considered that.

Yesterday I didn't need as much help, just my Dad to come in and help me get dressed as I got one leg in my knickers and couldn't maneuver the other... which was fine as the possibility was planned for and I got up and got washed so I'd be getting dressed at a time he could be around.

It might be early but I'm kinda sleepy - I have some cast protectors but just in case they didn't work I didn't try them until this morning.  Mum came and helped me shower but in order to be at work in time had to come at 6.30am.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails