Tuesday 14 December 2010

This is going to be a super short blog post because when I really had time and wanted to be writing it earlier my internet was coming on and off like a prostitutes knickers.  Or some such metaphor, possibly a more appropriate one I can't think of right now.  Suggestions anyone?

I'm not that tired but I'm a bit worried that if I wrote a huge entry my Internet might go stupid again and I'd lose it.  Also, I was going to share photos and I don't want to mess around with them at the moment.  But I've been learning (or have learnt, actually I guess) two new crafts in the past few days.  One of the many reasons I've not been blogging.

Other reasons include having absolutely no energy and being completely and utterly hooked on listening to an audiobook of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  It's so good!

I'm working on some disability related posts because I've been chatting a lot about different issues and reading a lot of very scary disability related news in the past week or so.  Ashley X has been back in the news, DLA is under threat, the term "special needs" and language as it relates to disability in general are some of those.

Today I heard about a guy writing a book based on his "inspirational" life overcoming CP.  Which he hid for most of his life and his parents asked the drs not to put it in his medical records when they diagnosed him.

And I have a question for some of my American Crip friends. This woman on a message board I post on (not disability related but I used an example of the DDA to clarify/contest a point she made) is telling me that your version of the DDA - the ADA I think? protects you in public buildings and organisations but that private companies can discriminate all they want.

I find that very, very scary.  Is it correct? Seems to me like it couldn't be law.  But I was wanted to ask someone of my peeps who are in the know about these things.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

She is both right and wrong. The Rehabilitation act, passed in 1974 (1973?) protects you where places have government funding but not private funding. However, the ADA, passed in 1990, protects you in both, although there is that "undue hardship" clause...

Heather said...

Is disability something to hide then?
Not sure that being ashamed of or needing to hide any part of who you are makes you very 'inspirational'.
Or maybe I need to read the book first.
How did you feel when you read/saw it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails