Sunday 7 February 2010

A Bordering on TMI Update Type Post

Being that it's over a week since I wrote a "proper" catch up type blog entry I thought I better see what I could do about that right now.  This entry contains items which fall under the category of TMI - you have been warned!

The goals I wrote about a few weeks ago are... OK but kinda stalled.  My TV license is renewed, I've e-mailed or called or spoken to on facebook chat most of my friends I wanted to catch up with but not all.  I have looked briefly into changing my ISP but need to do more for that really.  I haven't even started my shawl I want to knit.  And the no coke and no chocolate thing went really well. /sarcasm. I gave it up Sunday afternoon and was back on it Tuesday lunch time.  Yeah.  Need to work on that one a bit harder!  Although I am pleased that the Monday was a terrible day and I was really upset about something that happened and I felt ill from the lack of my treats but I still stayed strong.  Working on my emotional therefore I eat link is probably more important.

I went to the doctors last Tuesday to get my prescription renewed.  It was actually only my fluoxetine that needed doing but she's done both.  My baclofen dose is now written differently so I get more each time I get a script and I can take it up to four times a day instead of the twice I was taking it.  I need to read up on that a little because I've got a feeling it works on building up to get the full effect so taking an extra here and there on bad days may not be the best way to do things.  Anyway I've been taking three a day since then.

There was some discussion when I last went that I might have polycystic ovaries.  Which is a wonderful condition which little is known about I believe.  I am assuming she means PCOS but since then I've done some reading which suggests it's possible to have the syndrome without the cysts or the cysts without the syndrome.  Basically I've been skipping periods and then having really long heavy ones and then getting another period really soon (too soon) after the last one and lather, rinse, repeat, basically.

For example I had a period mid October.  Didn't get one again until 1st Jan which lasted until the 14th and then got it again on the 31st. That lasted my usual five days only which I was relieved about.  I must admit that I was beginning to get concerned that I could end up anaemic.  And yes, I do know that this is TMI for a lot of people but 1) I believe in sharing because it could help others (or me) and 2) I find it useful to have this noted down for my records.

Anyway she said the hormone levels I had done in August weren't particularly worrying (she used a different phrasing but that's what she meant) - I was concerned about their validity as I got a period two days after they were drawn but she didn't seem concerned about that.  There was some discussion about ways that we could treat it (i.e. regulate my hormones) which would be difficult as I can't take the pill - if you took a list of possible side effects and contraindications of the pill you could cross out contraindications and retitle it "reasons Emma can't take the pill" I have that many of the contraindications.

The suggestion was Noreisterone for so many days between certain days in my cycle each month to make me bleed.  But in my situation she prefers a wait and see approach and to see if my losing any weight makes a difference in the situation as she thinks my weight is probably what's caused the polycystic ovaries.  That makes sense to me as it treats the probable underlying cause as opposed to just the symptoms (screwy periods mostly).

So I'm to see the nurse again on Tuesday to chat about my weight progress (I set that up before I saw the dr) and then I'm going to be getting on with this with a vengeance again.  My Dr did comment that I look a lot better than the last time she saw me and also that I look slimmer too. She also commented that I'm sitting better in my wheelchair which is interesting. Plus on the same day my sister commented that my tummy looked smaller.  Progress!

I've played on my Wii everyday apart from one since I got it - I use it for exercise and I really think that's got a lot to do with my current success.  I do wish that I had my scales back already though - so frustrated that they broke and I've not heard from them (returned for repair or replacement due to the warranty).  But it's not been long enough really to chase it yet.

The games I have are Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Just Dance and Samba de Amigo.  I play the Sports Resort and Just Dance the most really and Samba de Amigo is probably the one I play the least.  That's hard. It kills my arms.  Fun though.

I'm going to be doing some accessibility and/or disability awareness type work with my housing association it seems.  In fact I met with my housing officer on Friday and we spent half an hour walking around the estate I live on so I could show her areas where access isn't great.  I think the fact I nearly came out of my chair going down a slope at one point (a part I don't go to usually) really highlighted the fact that a better ramp is needed there!  Plus she asked about things I hadn't considered too.  There are two more things I've been asked if I'll do (but not arranged) and a few more possibilities so that's good.  I won't go into how that came about because it's not all resolved but I'll just say that it seems like good things come to those who complain!

I think that's probably about it for now

2 comments:

Molly said...

Sorry that you've stalled a bit on your goals recently. I hope you can get going with them again soon.

Glad your prescription has been successfully renewed and that your weight loss is going well - well done :D I hope you get your scales back soon. I'm impressed that you've been playing on your Wii so much! I have Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort too. I bought my 14th Wii game yesterday :P

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with your periods. I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst just over 2 years ago after having ridiculously heavy periods and severe pain mid-cycle. I can't take the normal Pill because of the liver problems I've had in the past, but can take a different version of it which helps me. Sorry that you can't take it. I hope your weight loss helps.

And well done with the accessibility/disibility awareness work you're doing :)

Take care,
Moll x x

Anonymous said...

Hey there--Hope you have more answers regarding the ovarian craziness. I have PCOS without the cystic ovaries but a few years ago, I was having erratic and sometimes looooong (as in several weeks long) periods which we learned was actually due to endometrial cysts. If I remember right, she curretaged them and gave me a one-time/week-long prescription for progesterone which shrunk the polyps and seemed to resolve the problem. Haven't had irregular bleeding ever since!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails