Sunday 8 February 2009

Thing a Day 2009 - Day Eight: i-cord

As I posted earlier in the week I'm taking a contemporary knitting class and working on a wall hanging as a part of that.  I have no real plan for it (other than "green") but the panel I'm working on is getting really long.  And as it's pretty thin - 10 stitches but it's actual width varies in and out depending on the materials I'm working with I started thinking about casting off the current piece and starting a second one.

But then came the question of how to join or otherwise link the two together.  I don't really like seaming (although I can easily do it) and anyway this is supposed to be a contemporary piece - seaming is a little too "usual" or "normal" for that.

And my mum was saying she had a ball of bright green yarn she could donate to the cause so to speak.  My Dad dropped it in this morning.  So last night i was thinking what I could do with this bright green yarn.  And about the joining question.

I started thinking i-cord (explaination towards the bottom of that page).  I've never really made i-cord before, I've had goes at it but I've never done more that a few rows of it.

Well, I've now decided that I love i-cord.  It's so quick and fun to make and it looks great too.  I will probably make a few other pieces in different shades and/or of different lengths to add to the piece.

 

[caption id="attachment_1433" align="alignnone" width="400" caption="Green i-cord (a type of knitting, the i stands for "idiot" i think). This is between 25 and 30 inches long, I couldn't measure it quite accurately"]Green i-cord (type of knitting, the i stands for "idiot" i think).  This is between 25 and 30 inches long, I couldn't measure it quite accurately[/caption]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails