Friday 27 April 2007

Introspective

One of the things I love about the blogosphere and about disability blogging in particularly is the exchange of ideas, information, support and friendship. I write in the hopes that my words will help me in my goal to be a disability advocate and maybe, just maybe, help someone who reads them.

But in reading other people's blogs and disability related experiences I am helped just as much if not more. Sometimes it's because they have made me laugh, got me nodding along going "yup, been there. done that." Sometimes because they offer information I wanted or simply a chance of understanding and belonging.

One of the biggest things however is perspective. Reading about others triumphs, tragedies, good days and crappy days allows me a different perspective on my life. It makes me think about things I could do that I haven't considered or suggestions for how to do things. It helps me to see how lucky I am and to continue to be grateful for all that I have.

There is a quote by Oscar Wilde that I love and try to live by. Blogging helps me in that quest.

“We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.” ~ Oscar Wilde


Rarely however there are days where the little corner of the blogsophere which I call my home makes me stand still in shock and dismay. That happened today. And it also made me introspective, made me think, hence this entry.

Nelba's son Loren died today. And the blogosphere is that little bit emptier as a result. Please keep them in your thoughts.

I've never met them and as they live in South Africa I'm unlikely to. Yet my heart aches for them and the road they now must follow. Shows how powerful of a medium blogging really is and how much of a community disability bloggers are.

(I've turned comments off on this entry, please give your words to Loren's family instead.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails