Thursday 1 March 2007

Happy 10th Birthday, World Book Day!

Today is World Book Day's 10th Birthday and as I absolutely adore reading and books in all shapes and forms I thought it worth celebrating and marking here.

I was going to do it with a list of ten of my favourite books but then I realised that would be difficult because for example I would have to list one of the Harry Potter books but I love all six and which would I include and including them all would take up most of the list and leave me no space for other books.  So I thought a list of my favourite authors would be the way to go.

J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter, magic, fantasy and realism all at once - need I say more?
Peter David - All things Sci Fi including my beloved Star Trek.  Believable plots, enough tech to make it work, a touch of romance and a fair sprinkling of comedy to keep me on the edge of my seat, guessing and laughing all the way to the end of the book whilst wishing it would never end.  I have one of his original novels which I'm going to read soon.  And the guy has a pretty cool blog too.

Torey Hayden - Torey is an amazing woman who has worked with kids and in education most of her life.  Reading her books you can tell that she truly makes a difference and cares more than most professionals.  I always spend the time I'm reading her books thinking and wondering and being thankful that my life was not like those children - and that those children had her in their corner.  You can learn something too.

Mitch Albom - His memoir, Tuesdays with Morrie, really struck a cord with me and is probably one of the most powerful books I have ever read.  Morrie was obviously an amazing man and I wish I could be more like him.  Albom's fictional book, The Five People You Meet In Heaven is also truly powerful and whilst I haven't yet read For One More Day I am looking forward to doing so when it is released in paperback.  These books are short and I found I could read them quickly but they are books that I will never forget.

Jodi Picoult - Fiction books that are well written with true to life characters and stories that suck you in.  Her books usually have a sting in the tale but so far I have never guess just what that is in any of them.

Elinor M Brent-Dyer - The Chalet School Series.  I loved them as a child and I still love them now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails