Saturday 9 December 2006

A Review of the Year in Survey Form

This is something of a yearly tradition for me and it is early this year but I have a lot of other stuff I want to do on this site before New Year's Eve. And also I must admit to being a bit worried that one answer might have to be changed if I leave it.

A Review of 2006 In Survey Form



1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?


Went on a plane by myself, stayed in a hotel alone, got given first aid by paramedics in a foreign country. Went Sailing. Represented the interests of the volunteers in a meeting at CAB



2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I did and I didn't. I kept them to a point but I didn't then manage the "follow through" that was needed. I don't think I will make more; I have and am making changes in my life at present and resolutions I would make would relate to keeping these up.



3. Did anyone close to you give birth?


No. Someone who I used to be close to had a baby though and two people I know are due in the early part of 2007



4. Did anyone close to you die?


My Gran died in July. Probably a blessing for her but I really miss her. And following recent events I am extremely thankful that she is the only person I have to list here!



5. What countries did you visit?


Spain (Madrid in May)


France (Cherbourg in September)



6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?


Peace of mind maybe. To be truthful I don't think I've missed anything I've not had.



7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?


17th May – When I went to Madrid


23rd July - when my Gran died


6th Sept - When I went on my JST voyage.



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


Public speaking about my JST trips.



9. What was your biggest failure?


Probably the access group. I realise now after having it slapped around my head several times by various people that the fact it has folded is not my fault particularly as some people were not meeting any of their role thus leaving more than my responsibilities to me to cover and I couldn't do it all. However I know that I could have managed my part in running the group (as defined by my role as secretary) a lot better than I did.



10. Did you suffer illness or injury?


Not particularly; I think I was less healthy this year than last but it's all relative. And obviously I did a pretty number on myself when I decided to “kiss the road” in Madrid but no where near as bad as it good of been – something I am still thankful for today (seven months later)



11. What was the best thing you bought?


Various books from ebay; my new computer desk unit; my JST fleece



12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?


Different people at different times. But most of all the members of the Rotary Club (especially Stan) who made it possible for me to go on the JST trip and do my speaking engagements



13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?


Some friends, some carers, some people I work with. Different people at different times.



14. Where did most of your money go?


I was going to say on my trip to Madrid but I think actually it was probably on stuff for my flat.




15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


Doing new stuff, challenging myself, pushing my boundaries


16. What song will always remind you of 2006?


The Leaving of Liverpool


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


i. happier or sadder? About the same


ii. thinner or fatter? Maybe a tiny bit thinner but mostly about the same


iii. richer or poorer? About the same


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?


Taking the time to really enjoy stuff and not worrying about what happens next. Standing up for myself more


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?


Worrying and stressing. Letting others influence me and my decisions and feelings.


20. How will you be spending Christmas?


At my parents house. However now I'm living so close I think I will be spending more time here than I have previously over Christmas and just spend all/part of some of the days with my family.


22. Did you fall in love in 2006?


No. Love is overrated.


23. How many one-night stands?


None


24. What was your favourite TV programme?


Brat Camp


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?


No one overally, again hate is a waste of time but I will say that my opinions of some people have changed (some for better, some for worse)


26. What was the best book you read?


Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult; Gentleman and Players by Joanne Harris or Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?


All sorts of different stuff - Sandi Thom I guess.


28. What did you want and get?


To travel. I love to travel and travelling by myself (or mostly by myself) this year was a dream come true.


30. What was your favourite film of this year?


I don't know, I haven't been to the cinema once this year. I did watch Nanny McPhee on DVD however and enjoyed it.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?


I will be 25 and I will be going to see Cats with my mum.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?


Nothing really. There is no point whatsoever in should haves could haves and would haves. All in all it was a good year and I didn’t waste it waiting for things I didn’t/couldn’t have at that time.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?


Same as always - jeans, etc.


34. What kept you sane?


Reading old favourite books. Especially Chalet School ones as they are comforting and set in an easier time.


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?


No one


36. What political issue stirred you the most?


Charlotte Wyatt/Right to Life (again!)


37. Who did you miss?


My Gran, my sister after she went to uni, my friend Maryse.


38. Who was the best new person you met?


I really don't like this question; it devalues the meaning of this and of friendship. I have gotten to know some people better and I've met some new people. They are all really good people and have their values and positive points in different ways.


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:


Whatever happens will be for the best and I'll make it through. Also that I am stronger than I realise and can do more than either me or others realise that I can


40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:


paraphrased but:



Five Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes,
Five Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Moments so dear
Five Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
How about love?

Measure in love
Seasons of love.

Its time now, to sing out
though the story never ends
lets celebrate remember a year
in the life of friends

Seasons of Love from the Rent Soundtrack

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails