Friday 28 July 2006

Poems

Two poems that I wanted to share... they have been bringing me some comfort this week.
God's Garden

God looked around His garden
And found an empty place
He then looked down upon the earth
And saw your tired face


He put His arms around you
And lifted you to rest
God's garden must be beautiful,
He always takes the best


He knew that you were suffering
He knew you were in pain,
He knew that you would never
Get well on earth again.


He saw the road was getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb
So He closed your weary eyelids,
And whispered "Peace Be Thine."


It breaks our hearts to lose you
But you didn't go alone.
For part of us went with you,
The day God called you home.



~Author Unknown~

That one is something that helps me to remember that whilst her death hurt us, for Gran it was something of a blessing. And also that she remains with us as long as we remember.
I’m Free

Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free
I’m following the path God has laid you see.
I took His hand when I heard him call
I turned my back and left it all.


I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found that peace at the close of day.


If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Oh yes, these things I too will miss.


Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life’s been full, I savored much
Good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.


Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and peace to thee
God wanted me now; He set me free.



~Author Unknown~

This one is one that I was introduced to last year at Nanny's funeral. My cousin, Helen, read it and I can't remember her exact words in introduction to it but it was something along the lines of her thinking it was somethiing Nanny would have wanted to say to us had she been able too. I believe that to be true both for Nanny and also for Gran... and I believe that Gran being Gran she would be really touched by the crying and the feelings but would also want us to remember the good times and to honour her memory by having more good times, happy times, fun times... make more memories to share and talk and laugh about in the future. She would tell us what the poem tells us. She'd probably also say "have some chocolate" and get the cream out to go with it but that's another story!
****

Gran was the last of my Grandparents to die. As well as my Grandparents I have also lost two very good friends of mine to Cystic Fibrosis (in 2000 and 2003 respectively). Just after Christmas I wrote a poem which summed up my feelings about all of the loved ones who have gone on before me and whilst it isn't quite appropriate for my feelings about the loss of Gran as her passing is still so recent... I wanted to share it here again as it says what I want to as best as I am able at present.



As the clock rolls on

Time flies
The years roll by
It’s so long
Since I saw you last


I wish you were here with me
But I know that cannot be
In body you must remain in my past
But In spirit and in love you you remain in my heart


One day we’ll be together again, they say
I know that’s true
If only it didn’t have to be this way.


I miss you so
But I realise you had to go
It was best for you
You needed the rest


You’re passing caused me strife
Yet I am glad you were in my life.
Knowing you helping to shape me.
I felt like your death would break me


Yes you are gone
While I remember you still live on.


It doesn’t feel like it’s been this long.
Thinking of all the years and months
Is completely wrong.


Time markers are so, so hard
Grief slips back in
When I drop my guard.


I wish you hadn’t had to go
I miss you so
I wish it didn’t have to be like this
I wish I didn’t have you who I miss.


You are still with me
This I know
I remember everyday
Try and let your spirit show
As I honour you in my own special way.


Emma ~ 9th January 2006

1 comment:

Chana said...

the poems are beautifully deep and sad. i'm so sorry that you are hurting so much....hugs....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails