Sunday 25 March 2012

Things That I've Been Reading #fridayreads #amreading

I hardly read anything in February so didn't write one of these. Here's what I've been reading (other than book review books) since January.

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

This is a very quick book I picked up in the Library. Beautifully written as all Steinbeck's books are it really makes you think about greed, about life in earlier times and what matters. I read it in one sitting ( it's about 90 pages) and really enjoyed it. One from the 1001 books list.

Other than the one book I reviewed, a few pages of The Swimming Pool Library (couldn't get into it) and a bunch of short stories that's all I read in February. I did start listening to the audiobook of The Graduate but kept falling asleep during it so gave up.

Beloved by Toni Morrison

This is another library book and one of the 1001 books. The first I've read by Toni Morrison. I absolutely loved it. It really reminded me of The Colour Purple both in plot and in style / feel. I've since picked up another of hers from the library and think she'll be a new favourite. One bit part character is referred to as Hi Man. Which I kept reading as He Man, child of the eighties that I am.

Confessions of a Karaoke Queen by Ella Kingsley

I won this in a competition. Silly, fluffy, a little unrealistic but very fun chick lit. Well written and enjoyable. The chapters all have song titles and I enjoyed seeing which I remembered or recognised.

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

Having gone off of Jodi Picoult books a bit (feeling they'd got a bit same-y) I was going to wait for the paperback. But I got it in such a good offer there was no point waiting. I thought she was back on form here and it kept me gripped throughout. There were a few bits that I thought were stupid and one that would never happen that was in there for drama. That annoyed me as it could have been done differently without affecting the plot as a whole.

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

A friend lent me this authors first two books after I said I like Joanne Harris books. These are certainly very similar in feel to Blackberry Wine/ Chocolat etc. I've since had her next two out the library. Another I read very quickly in two days (and two sittings). It's just so well written and lovely and feel good that although I kept meaning to stop and do washing etc I never did! I highly recommend The Peach Keeper as I think it's the best of her four novels but they are all very good.

♥ Emma

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails