Saturday 31 December 2011

A Review of 2011 In Survey Form

I think this is the 8th year I've done this meme. I love using it to look back and remember. But that said its the second time I've done it today as I finished it earlier and Blogpress crashed (fucking thing) losing it. I don't love it that much!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?


Plenty I'm sure but my mind has gone blank.

Helped organise a conference to celebrate International Day of Disabled People.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn't make any but I am going to set a couple of short term goals this year rather than resolutions as such.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?


For the first time I can say YES! to this. LOL. Isabelle was born to my cousin and his wife in July, Jessica was born to my friend Sarah and her husband in August and Fae was born to another friend and her partner in late October (I think). A good friend's granddaughter was also born this year, Milla but I forget when.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

A couple of acquaintances died. I didn't know any of them well but was sad to hear of their passing. Especially one who I'd never been close to and hadn't seen in years but who had inadvertently influenced me a lot.

5. What countries did you visit?


None. But I did get away (a night in Birmingham for Naidex and a long weekend at Longleat Center Parcs) which I think is more what the question is asking.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

Not much. There ate a few things I'd like to try and/or do but not things I've felt my life had lacked this year. I am content.

7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?


Not dates but days:
One Month Before Heartbreak,
My trip to Center Parcs,
Winning the two regattas,
Botox, standing frame, physio and casts.
Going to see Sister Act the Musical and the Spooky Men's Chorale
Meeting up with a friend for the first time in years and having crazy fun.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not one I did alone but One Month Before Heartbreak was amazing. I still can't believe what we achieved.

Or on a personal level having a good year and continuing to enjoy life despite some unexpected and very tough challenges (not all of which I blogged about)





9. What was your biggest failure?

Not taking care of myself properly.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?


I had a few UTIs and ended up needing three months of prophylactic abx as a result. And depression and spasticity despite being ongoing issues for years/life seemed to feature heavily.


11. What was the best thing you bought?


My iPad!!


12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

Everyone who helped out at the various times this year I didn't have my powerchair or during my serial casting but that's too many to list. My family.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?


I am not going to name names. One organisation and maybe one person. That's all I'll say.

14. Where did most of your money go?


The actual answer is probably rent but as that's an everyday thing I'll say powerchair repairs. I knew last year that I'd need to replace the batteries. Two repairs and new tires weren't something I planned though


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


My powerchair coming home fixed in March after being gone/ broken for most of the month.


16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

Space Rabbits of Brocklevoon by Kate Rowe. It's about stealing spoons. I saw it live with two friends and whilst the rest of the audience laughed the three of us were killing ourselves because the spoon thing was a bit of an inside joke. Those were definitely the right friends for me to be with for that, I'd have had to explain it to most of my others which wouldn't have been so fun.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? It's been a huge struggle at times and my depression has given me a kicking but I wouldn't say I was sadder that before or happier. Just more content and realistic perhaps

ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter, I have regained all the weight I lost last year and possibly a little more. Last time I weighed I was at my highest ever weight.

iii. richer or poorer? Financially I feel poorer but I am richer in other, more important ways.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Swimming, knitting, writing, taking my damn meds, keeping my promises.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Not much, on the whole I am content. Being stressed, upset, anxious and/or depressed.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I was at my parents house. I was there the majority of the time from Christmas Eve evening (about 6 ish) till maybe 10.30pm on Boxing Day going home late each night and returning early each morning although not as early as I should have done.

22. Did you fall in love in 2011?

No.

23. How many one-night stands?

None

24. What was your favourite TV programme?

Downton Abbey. In fact I think I love it more than I did last year. I also enjoyed the first two episodes of Black Mirror (I forget why but I haven't seen the third) and last night I watched Housewife, 49 which was very good and made me want to read the books. I think that might be the first time I've seen Victoria Wood in a straight (non comedy) role.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I am disappointed in and upset with a few people but hate is too strong a word.

26. What was the best book you read?

I'm supposed to pick just one?! I read much too much for that! Five that come to mind are:
Miracle on Regent Street by Ali Harris
The Shadow Wife by Diane Chamberlain
The Remains of The Day by Kazuro Ishiguro
The Reader by Bernard Schlink
A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving

I also enjoyed lots of Star Trek related books this year.


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I am totally loving the soundtrack from Sister Act The Musical


28. What did you want and get

An iPad
A new bed

30. What was your favourite film of this year?

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

The big 3-0 was this year. We had a massive dinner as a family of a variety of things including chicken and bacon pasta bake and garlic bread (one of the frozen baguettes each). Then the majority of us played Trivial Pursuit which my Dad and I tied. I hope to have a party to celebrate in a few months.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not much I'm relatively pleased with this year. That said I do need a new powerchair rather quickly and it would be nice if I could click my fingers and have it here this week rather than all the faffing I seem to be doing trying to sort it out.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?

Similar to before but sadly in bigger sizes again. I tried to become more together and smart in my dress but due to depression didn't manage to keep it up.

34. What kept you sane?

All sorts of things depending on the day, time and just why I felt the need to remain sane. Trying to put myself first.


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Not really a crush but I did become quite a fan of Michel Roux, jr and enjoyed watching him on TV.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

Planned changes to the NHS.

37. Who did you miss?

I missed lots of people at different times and in different ways. I find that's always the case. And that with friends I rarely see that I miss them more when we've just met up. In someways I missed myself too.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

Keeping the same answer as last year here. - This is my stock answer for this question but - I don't like this question so I'm not answering. That said I don't think I've met anyone and taken a violent dislike to them. I might answer the opposite question if that were the case! - But this does remind me that I should keep my "let's keep in touch promise to someone I met this year and drop them a quick email

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Asking for advice, support, help and guidance is important. But at the same time only I can walk the path I'm on and I need to do what's right for me regardless of what others think.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Take all my vicious words
Turn them into something good
Take all my preconceptions
Let the truth be understood
Take all my prize possessions
Leave only what I need

(from Courage Is by The Strange Familiar)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Posh Totty said...

Happy New Year Xx

Posh Totty said...

Hope you don't mind, but I am going to pinch this meme as think its a great idea :) Xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails