Saturday 8 October 2011

You Know You Have CP When...

...You aren't sure that getting discharged from physio is the good thing everyone else is making it out to be.

I went back to the hospital on Wednesday and saw two physios and an orthotist. They were very pleased with the progress I've made with the standing frame (and so am I). I've been able to maintain the improved range of motion in my ankles and my feet are still looking what I consider to be wrong - they used to turn in a lot and I can't remember a time when they didn't. Now they are straighter (I believe my talus - one of the bones in the foot - is now in neutral position rather than rotated inwards).

I do keep looking at my feet and thinking they don't look right. But the fact is they are right for the first time in years or maybe even ever. A friend of mine popped round on Thursday and kept commenting how good my feet and legs look now (my spasticity is better controlled and I can keep my knees bent for a few minutes now if I concentrate rather than automatically spasming and locking out straight) and saying she couldn't stop staring at them. I was joking with her that her secret is out and that I now know she's a leg woman and attracted to me for my legs.

Anyway, back to the physio - my posture has improved which I believe should slowly help with pain. And my legs appear stronger meaning my standing transfers are better. I still have to use my arms to do it and always will not least because I have rubbish standing balance. BUT I am now using my legs more to push myself up in conjunction with pulling with my arms rather than just grabbing hold of something and pulling myself up - which had resulted in me pulling a grab rail off the wall at least twice.

The orthotist said that I would get no benefit from splints or another type of orthotics that I'm not getting from using the standing frame. I was very pleased by that! I'm actually quite enjoying the standing.

So I've been discharged from physio but will see the consultant before Christmas and there should be a physio in that clinic. I am a little apprehensive about being discharged but figure it'll be ok. The interesting thing about it is that people keep commenting "well done" or "congratulations" when I share my progress and I think it's a weird thing to say - because I can't see that anything big or amazing has come from this long, hard process. Then again as I sit here writing this I'm beginning to realise just what it is I've achieved - with the help of various physios and all the other people who have supported me. It might be me that's benefitting and my legs which show these small improvements but I couldn't have done it alone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's interesting that you're posting about orthotics and inwardly turning feet because yesterday I was looking at my left such foot, and am thinking about going to my physician to get a referral to see the orthopedist.

I've haven't worn orthotics since before high school, which was (yikes) over 10 years ago. So it'll be an adventure for sure venturing into this arena again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails