Thursday 1 September 2011

Living With The Dead Trilogy (books 2 & 3) by Jesse Petersen


Simon & Schuster kindly sent me copies of Flip This Zombie and Eat Slay Love by Jesse Petersen to review. They are books 2 and 3 of her Living With The Dead trilogy. I've not read book 1 but it's called Married With Zombies if anyone wants to know. And I saw on Amazon that there is also a book of short stories set in the same universe.

Here's what Amazon has to say about Flip This Zombie

Ever felt like your office colleagues might actually be zombies? Call ZombieBusters Extermination!

The Zombie Apocalypse has been good to Sarah and David. Their marriage is better than ever. They communicate well, share responsibilities, and they've also started a business. ZombieBusters - for all your zombie extermination needs. There are lots of zombies and that means lots of customers...Except one of them doesn't want the zombies dead, he wants them alive and ready for experimentation. Mad scientists make for difficult clients and, this time, Sarah and David might have bitten off more than they can chew.


I won't share the synopsis for Eat Slay Love as it contains a spoiler.

These were my first ever zombie books. I have never even been tempted to pick one up before let alone read one. So I really wasn't sure what to think or even what to expect when I opened the parcel in the doctors waiting room (the postman stopped me on my way there and went "got some books for you that won't fit through your letterbox." Exceedingly good service that). Surprise parcels of books should always be provided to help make the long wait at the doctors bearable I think. Also screaming mothers moaning at their kids should be banned from all public places but especially the doctors for the same reason. In fact I'd prolly prefer that to the books idea and given how much I love to read you get how annoying they are to me. Oh and as a final off topic aside? The screaming mothers who go "see that lady in the wheelchair? See her? She'll run you over if you don't stop [whatever they were doing, usually just being a kid]" need a smack. Or perhaps I'll just run them over seeing as it's obviously acceptable in their world.

These were quite a fun read. Perfect reading for when you want to switch off completely. Full of humour they literally made me LOL a few times. They seemed very hip and very now - full of references to recent famous people etc. I didn't understand one or two of the references because they were American but there was enough there that for example I knew they were talking about money just not how much.

I thought the covers of these books were totally perfect for them, bright with a very chick lit feel which makes them stand out. I'd not read zombie books before because I hate horror and assumed zombie books had to be full of gore and gruesomeness. There was obviously some gore but the main focus was on the characters and their relationships. Basically these are chick lit - with zombies. I'd say these are a good place to start if you're not sure if the zombie thing is for you.

As things stand this is a trilogy but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more books in the future. There's definitely scope in the way Eat Slay Love (that title cracks me up) ends.

These are worth a try if you want to switch off and have a laugh. I was surprised how much I liked them.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails