Sunday 17 July 2011

Meds and Such Like

I think it's safe to say that at the very least I need to go and chat to my GP about my depression.  I'm much better than I was when my antidepressant was changed to Sertraline but I'm still struggling a lot at times.  That said I don't necessarily think I need it tweaking again but I'm not sure and I need to keep an eye on these things.

And when I went to the physio she was talking about the possibility of changing my muscle relaxants.  Either an increase of my baclofen or taking something else (which said could be instead of or in addition to the baclofen).  I'm back there on Thursday to chat these things through.  That was quite interesting though because I'd not heard of one of the mentioned meds being used for spasticity and I know of loads of people who take it.  And she also queried whether I was taking anti-depressants for depression or spasticity as apparently some anti-depressants can be used for spasiticity as they relax you.  I'd never heard that before but it's an idea I'm quite interested in.  If I don't come back without a drastic increase in my baclofen or an extra prescription I'll be very surprised.

The physio has also referred me back to wheelchair services as she says I either need this chair adapting or a new one as it's totally unsuitable and she thinks part of the cause of my pain.  Wheelchair Services however are saying I have to go back on the waiting list which has an average wait of 18 weeks.

She also advised me to go back to social services and asked to be reassessed for care needs, specifically for help with socks and shoes.  I've not done that yet.

A few other things were mentioned as possibilities so I came back with lots to think about which is part of the reason I've been so quiet on this blog.

Oh and she told me I should be leaving my wheelchair in a different position (equivalent to where it would be for a lateral/slide board transfer) when I'm standing and transferring.  Getting the hang of that is not proving easy at the moment!

1 comment:

Stinky said...

90 degrees for the wheelchair?

Lots of potential changes for you? Gotta love waiting lists - not! Oversubscribed wheelchair services, now there's a first. Even for high priority users??

Wouldn't it be good if there was one pill to kill two birds. And with no nasty side effects too. Is that too much to ask for?

Hope it all gets ironed out as smoothly as poss

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails