Sunday 3 April 2011

Disability Normal - The Twitter Version (Part 2)

Last night I wrote a blog entry - Disability Normal - about a new friend's comments about getting an insight into my life and what her insight made me think.  It sparked quite a conversation on twitter this morning and I spent some time gathered the tweets together.  Those can be found in Disability Normal - The Twitter Version.  I then went up to my parents house for a Mothers Day barbecue (in the rain) and returned to discover in the several hours I was out it had continued.  So this is part two.  I rather suspect I might end up doing part three as well/.


people think because you are disabled, you should have no opinions of your own, be passive and greatful - BIgPawedBear


Possessing ridiculous amount of things featuring velcroix and a bathroom with more white plastic stuff in than an OT dept. - GentleChaos


Most of the people on here whom I've known for years have chosen not to follow back. Presumably I bore or irritate them.? - JulianYon


have you ever had the "if I were like you I'd top myself" line? How  is that? (I've heard some say it is.) - Indigojo_uk


Parking in disabled bay & havin ferocious older people glare/shout @ u only to melt away as u produce 'chair, wheels, cushion - GentleChaos


@ We've all been there! You get an almost sympathetic nod of approval once the crutches/scooter become evident  - PositiveAboutMS


Meeting amazing friends that you may never have encountered otherwise :) - GentleChaos


 Complete strangers share their medical history&layout of home with me even when I'm not wearing OT badge. - GentleChaos


 or maybe OT normal? Finding that I can't help checking out other people's assistive kit..Often thinking dang that's cool - GentleChaos


Silent panic that grips conversation when blind person says 'I saw that on TV last night' - longcanejane


Being told by a complete stranger that if you only eat [something] or don't eat [something] you'll be fine - IncurableHippie


Complete strangers telling you "My aunt had that and she died of it!" That's meant to be helpful how, exactly? - MargoJMilne


Whenever two or more are gathered together let it be presumed to be an outing from a day centre. - Bubblejet


When it gets more and more normal for complete strangers to offer to pray for you - IncurableHippie


Annual Medical Assessment of Benefits: Need to demonstrate that faith healing hasn't yet miraculously restored missing limb  - Eridanus


 wondering why they're talking to you in a loud, slow voice, then remember you're using a walking stick. - LadyLikePunk


open stares when enjoying yourself - LadyLikePunk


Being told that a friend/family member/acquaintance got over it with healthy eating and excersice so you don't need meds - Feministinti


Getting more and more irate when people decide that their bag needs a seat on the bus more than you do - IncurableHippie


Not even bothering to explain some of the more obscure limitations you have - IncurableHippie


When friends/family/even strangers get angry with you when you don't let them make your life decisions for you - FeministInti


 "I know someone with that, hers is much worse than yours though." - Bolli_Bolshevik


"Oh yes, I get a bad back sometimes" - Bolli_Bolshevik


Having shop assistant explain to you how to work a book of stamps - MargoJMilne


Being ignored in shop queue, in favour of person behind you - MargoJMilne


 "You shouldn't take those meds, they are addictive" "Yoga is supposed to be great for that" christ i could do this all day - Bolli_Bolshevik


"Oh yes, I get tired too" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - MargoJMilne


people asking your friend if you are okay instead of you because you are in a wheelchair - NevHarvey


cooked meal does NOT mean "popped something frozen into the oven" - and the benefits paperwork doesn't make that clear - LonAitewalker


Choosing between excessive pain and not being able to function due to the side effects of pain meds. Every day. - IncurableHippie 


People tying themselves in knots trying not to say "Take a seat"  - MargoJMilne


approaching situations calmly when non disabled people are flapping like mad - BIgPawedBear


expectation that being over 60 trumps any validity you have to a seat" - Bolli_Bolshevik


 No irony spotted by the work colleague who describes her day as 'mad', 'manic' and 'nuts' - MnicSleepTeachr


Being questioned why you have a blue badge - EadieDog


"I didn't know deaf people could read and write." - SlyJuana


"you're oral? are you wanna be hearing?" (from other deafies) - SlyJuana


"you need to work harder. stop being so lazy. you're LAZY." - SlyJuana


"can you tell her... " in situations where the speaker doesn't acknowledge my presence & only the interpreter's. - SlyJuana


"He's drunk,p*ssed himself&had a fight.Look at the blood everywhere!Leave him" 'no ,avad afit, help' "See he's slurring!" - Robbsart


Long stares because I wasn't using a stick yesterday and I am today. - Jermec


"there aren't many attractive deaf people" (or variation thereof) - SlyJuana


stress making my own condition worse, but as there's no one else to care for son, pushing on to early grave regardless - LonAitewalker


So tired I want to cry, but dragging self to park/school/shops with kids. - Suey2y


When your new work trousers have holes in&your coat cuffs are frayed two days in - GentleChaos


Promising to go out for the evening but being so exhausted by the process of getting ready that I end up back in bed. - LatentExistence


finding time to dismiss the cat staring at me in the kitchen, because I don't have a cat & it is my mind making things up - Robbsart


Then when the cat has gone I then have to ignore the people that are talking to me because theres no-one else in the house - Robbsart


Watching everyone else have fun and enjoy life while I'm stuck inside doped up on painkillers and oxygen... - D_incurable


When u wear reflective cycle bands to roll up your jacket sleeves...  - GentleChaos


questioning logic of needing powerchair for six months before NHS actually gives you one - apparently, crawl for a bit, ok - LonAitewalker


Have you tried acupuncture/osteopathy/organic vegetables/prayer-healing/ (substitute your own 'cure')?  - MusicMP


I fell to the floor in shock when son said his first words to me...he didn't speak till he was four. - LonAitewalker


 'Really struggled to get out of bed this morning!' Arrrgggghhh!! - MnicSleepTeachr


Bracing myself for the pain on those rare occasions I get laid. - JulianYon


Getting a cluster attack & having 2 leave the rare social outing halfway through as my O2 tank is 2 big 2 take everywhere. - D_incurable


Buying concert tickets you know you're unlikely to be able to attend - MnicSleepTeachr


People told to take photos of me outside whatever the weather in case the flash makes me have a fit  - Robbsart


Having expert knowledge of the location and crip friendliness of most of the budget chains of hotels - CrimsonCrip


Can't sleep well until I have both been up for two days and on drugs. - mxmlxviii


Feeling like someone wedged a tennis ball behind your knees. - SpazGirl11


Getting down on the floor and then realizing you can't get up again..."I've fallen and I can't get up!" - SpazGirl11


Fighting to stay awake watching telly or reading a book at noon because your painkillers have knocked you out for the day - D_incurable


"Everyone gets sad sometimes. You'll be fine after a good night's sleep." Uh.. Yeah. Then why has it lasted for over 10y? - Caralynnem


"you're a pretty woman. what's the problem?" (mental health worker said this to me during assessment some years ago) - SlyJuana


Having people berate me for not getting out of the disabled seat for an elderly person who doesn't want the seat anyway - Mradclyffe


Being pretty much constantly in pain. No matter where you sit, how you sit, what you do.... - SpazGirl11


"Cheer up love, what have you got to be so miserable about?" from complete strangers. How long have you got?!  - Mradclyffe


staying awake til 10:00pm is a rare adventure  - at least, staying alert is! - StickmanCrips


"Oh yes, I know about fibromyalgia, a friend of mine had it in her shoulder". - Matofcourse


The irony of being told by friends and strangers that mental illness is all in my head.  - Mradclyffe


Laughing with friends about my habit of using drugs before&during nights out so I can have a good time..(prescribed) ;) - GentleChaos



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails