Monday 28 December 2009

A Review of 2009 in Survey Form

This is a bit of a New Year/December tradition for me and this is the sixth year running I've done this meme. As a side note, I started doing this on Monday and have only just finished it. The event mentioned as happening "tomorrow" was our day out on Tuesday (which I just blogged about in my previous entry) and I think probably will remain stuck in my head.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Probably the biggest thing was getting rid of the carers - I'd been thinking about it but then there was a major to do with the agency (which I'm not getting into but which I have described to several people as "they screwed me over") and getting cleaners. I am managing way better than I thought I would without carers. And my house is cleaner too!

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I did. I've been working on the 101 in 1001 project the past several years. I made good progress with the current list this year and plan to continue next year. I'm also toying with some big changes for me but those won't be new years resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No (this is the sixth year I've done this survey and I've never once been able to answer yes!)

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Kind of. A man who volunteered at CAB and who I'd known from my very first day died very suddenly in April. We were both Wednesday people and I didn't really know him well as he was very private but we had our little jokes and his death hit me (well, a lot of us I think) very hard as it was so surprising. Every so often another volunteer will mention him to me or I'll mention him to her and we think that we miss him.

5. What countries did you visit?

Once again - None!

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

A decent working camera (mine has been busted since April). And as I said last year but still didn't manage to do this year - a decent break that's actually a break.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Lots of days have been very special for a lot of different reasons but I can't specifically think of one date that will stick forever. I am half wondering if the do we are going to tomorrow will turn into a memory to cherish. But that's kinda a lot of pressure so I'm trying not to wonder that too much.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Completing NaNoWriMo for the first time in several years and writing more for it then I ever have for anything before.
Taking on a new responsibility and really trying and succeeding even though it was something I'd not really wanted to do and was finding so much harder and more stressful than I anticipated.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not losing any real weight. And not keeping my house very tidy between cleaner visits - particularly at the moment, the words "looks like a bomb hit it" spring to mind.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

In 2008 I took myself off of both my meds. In March I went back on fluoxetine and in August back on Baclofen (which I swear I only need due to the fluoxetine doing a number on my spasticity). But that's not really illness. I had a bad patch in the summer with a virus but I've been very well this year and haven't had any antibiotics at all!

I did have a bit of a nasty accident in the early hours of Christmas Day however and my first thought when it happened was that this was going to be very bad as in A&E bad. But - and I have no idea how - it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we thought and there wasn't even any blood.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I'd say my new chair but wheelchair services funded that so - my new furniture for the flat.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

My parents have done a lot of running around and helping me out this year, particularly lately.
The cleaning company I use have also been much better than I anticipated them being.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

My former care agency

14. Where did most of your money go?

New furniture and bills. Improving my finances and budgeting is still something I'm working one.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Meeting up with old friends i'd lost touch with for the first time in about three years.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

Teamwork from the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang soundtrack.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? About the same but more realistic which may make it seem like I'm sadder

ii. thinner or fatter? A few pounds heavier

iii. richer or poorer? A bit better.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Writing. Knitting. Reaching out to friends.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Getting frustrated and upset about things that I can't control or that don't matter in the long run.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I was at my parents house. I wasn't supposed to stay over but ended up staying from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day evening pretty much due to the bad weather.

22. Did you fall in love in 2009?

No. Lately I wonder if it will ever happen and if I really need it to.

23. How many one-night stands?

Zero.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?

I enjoyed a lot of documentaries and docu-dramas like the five day special Channel 4 did with different actresses portraying the Queen at critical points in her reign.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is too strong of a word. I have been disappointed by some professionals in my life but not really by friends.

26. What was the best book you read?

Both of Chris Cleave's books.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Not exactly what the question meant but I started listening to Jack FM in the mornings and I've been loving that.

28. What did you want and get?

More storage in my flat and a new wheelchair.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?

Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with a friend; had a night of games, dinner and a dvd with my family.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I can't say, really it's been a pretty good year overall. But part of me is very frustrated that I didn't get seen by wheelchair services and get a new chair much sooner than actually happened. It's made such a difference to my mobility and my pain levels. I never even suspected that my hip pain could be helped by my chair or that my back pain improved like they have been.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Lots and lots of skirts in the summer and trackies earlier in the year. In the past few months I've found both jeans and just recently smart black trousers that fit even though they are bigger than I would like! So I've been trying to smarten up a bit lately but really overall I'm still living in trackies and comfy clothes.

34. What kept you sane?

Different things at different times. Good friends. Reading. Afternoon naps.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I can't really think of anyone.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

The save DLA campaign

37. Who did you miss?

Lots of different people at different times and in different ways. Sometimes things I wouldn't have expected made me miss people. I was surprised by how much I missed my CAB colleague who died. But this year has also been a good one for reconnecting with old friends so I missed them less than previously - whilst also missing them more because I'd been reminded of how great they are and how much I enjoy their company.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

As I've said in previous years, I really don't like this question. I don't feel like I've met too many new people this year but those I've had I've liked for the most part.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:

That at times I can be stronger and more capable than I think I am.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

It's something unpredictable but in the end it's right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails