Sunday 3 February 2008

Yuck

I really, really, really hate it when people use the term "neuro typical" in relation to their non CP-er kids.  I've also heard that term used to describe people who aren't autistic.  And basically, it's a term I hate.  What exactly is "neuro typical" anyway?!?!  I don't think there is any such thing,

I've just found a term I hate more than that though... "neurodevastated."  used in relation to neurodegenerative diseases and severe CP. Talk about ableist and disphobic!

Excuse me while I go throw up.

3 comments:

sarah said...

i don't know why you have such a prob with neuro typical. to me it describes very well a "normal neuro" state. neurological normal does exist and is measurable. so why not call it neuro typical. now neuro devestated is using emotive language as a quantative noun, which i think is being assumptive.

Jacqui said...

I don't have a problem with neurotypical. But I'm not sure that neuro devestated is that great a term.

Nelba said...

What would you suggest in the place of neurotypical?

Agree about neurodevastated. What an awful term.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails