Friday 26 January 2007

Microsoft and the social model of disability

I'm working on a piece in word right now, not for here but for another project. And I wrote a sentence about being asked how having a disability affects certain things. Basically it goes "when I was asked how disability affects this my first thought was that my CP..."
Apparently that sentence is passive and the grammar check thinks I should instead write "my CP does not affect my disability..."

I only ran the grammar check because I wasn't sure if it should be affect or effect and it was easier than looking it up and I end up getting into the Social Model of Disability. I really do believe in the social model but that sentence did make me laugh which I needed. Because my CP is not what disables me but it what causes society to disable me. So cp does affect my disability.
And for those who don't know:

The Social Model of Disability proposes that barriers and prejudice and exclusion by society (purposely or inadvertently) are the ultimate factors defining who is disabled and who is not in a particular society. It recognises that while some people have physical or psychological differences from a statistical norm, which may sometimes be impairments, these do not have to lead to disability unless society fails to accommodate and include them in the way it would those who are 'normal'. [from wikipedia]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails