Tuesday 1 August 2006

Remember

I've just put the computer on so I can lie down and listen to some MP3's but thought I would update here quickly first.The funeral was today and it was an extremely long day. But, I feel we did her very very proud and said the best "See you sometime" that we could have.

Everything that was read/sung/prayed was so appropriate for her and I felt like while the Vicar did go off on a bit of a tangent at times (and Dad had thought he might) he talked a lot of sense, even if you don't agree with the religious messages.

Two things from the service I wanted to post here:

This is a poem that the Vicar read out and I'm told was also read at my Grandad's funeral (I can't remember it from there)

Remember by Christina Georgina Rossetti

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more, day by day,
You tell me of our future that you planned;
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve;
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Apt, I thought. And something our darling Granny would tell us and want us to live by.

The second is a bible reading. What is in fact my favourite bible reading (I must admit here that I haven't read much of the bible in probably 10 years). Again I think it suited Gran down to the ground and think is one that reaches people even if they are not religious.

Ecclesiastes 3


A Time for Everything

1For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
2a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails