Wednesday 22 June 2011

Books With Disabled Characters (Part 2) #disability #amreading #books

Part two of my books with disabled characters list. I've not read some  of the ones on this section so not a definitive recommendation.

21. Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBride Johnson
22. The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffeneger
23. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
24. Pollyanna
25. Heidi
26. Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes
27. The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
28. Veteran by Gavin Smith
29. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Attwood
30. With The Light (manga)
31. Jimmy by Robert Whitlow
32. Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
33. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
34. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
35. Lady Chatterley’s Lover
36. The State of Me by Nasim Marie Jafry
37. Black Sea Twilight
38. Jimmy First series by Ian O’Neill
39. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell
40. Lottery by Patricia Wood

I've read: The Time Traveller's Wife, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Veteran, Harry Potter Series, Lady Chatterley's Lover, The State of Me, Black Sea Twilight, the first of the Jimmy First books, A Thread of Grace, and Lottery.  My favourite book from this list was probably A Thread of Grace.  I probably liked Jimmy First the least.

I think I might have read Heidi as a child but can't remember.  And I have none of the books on this part of the list waiting to be read.  I've read part of The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Nighttime but put it down.  Not sure why, it was good.  I guess it just didn't hold my attention.

The Harry Potter books are on this list because someone suggested them.  I must admit that despite being a huge Harry fan I'd not considered the disability aspects.  Obviously, Mad Eye Moody has a false leg (and his eye probably counts as a disability too), and Lupin's being a werewolf most likely counts as well. The interesting thing that came up in a twitter discussion was that many people think Neville Longbottom is dyspraxic.  I don't know enough about dyspraxia to comment.

The subtle disability is there if you look but not in your face and is totally normal is something I really liked to see in books.  Black Sea Twilight is another great book for that.  In fact in that one the main character comes to see her disability as a very positive trait of hers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin has Bran Stark who is paraplegic, Hodor who I think has Down's Syndrome, Tyrion Lannister who is a dwarf...

Raymond Feist's book "Prince of the Blood" has a young prince (main character) who has a serious limp. I think it gets fixed eventually through magic though.

I'll try and think of some others :-)

Chantal

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails